The frost and chill are finally behind us and the transition is full swing! With spring hitting us full force and summer creeping ever closer, surfers from all corners of our fair isles are itching to get back in on the water. Spring not only marks the turning of the weather, but it ushers in the competitive season and our chums at Surfing GB are gearing up to deliver!
Keeping it in line with last years festivities, they’re kicking off with a bang and throwing the thrilling Aquajuice British Schools Surf Championships! Be sure to save the dates! Held in the idyllic Widemouth Bay in Bude this April 25th & 26th will see the event storm in to action.
The event is designed to give the groms a chance to not only compete against their peers, but to do their schools proud by teaming up with their classmates to not only showcase the talent within junior surfing, but the British schooling systems too.
“For many juniors this isn’t just a weekend of competition, but a friendly and enjoyable weekend with new and old friends, sharing the stoke of a weekend Surfing and representing their school” describes the events contest director Pauly Jeffrey.
The turn out is expected to be over 100 juniors aged between 12 – 18, ranging from 20 schools. With that many of Britain’s finest going at it, the team and individual titles are going to be fiercely fought out.
The weather is looking to be pretty decent too, with the UK seeing a surge in temperatures thanks to very warm continental air swooping in helping to send temperatures soaring. Thankfully Aquajuice soft drinks will be on hand and as headline sponsors shall be aiding competitors by keeping them hydrated. As a key sponsor for Surfing GB we’ll also be there in full supportive swing.
Expect prizes, giveaways and super-happy-fun-times courtesy of Carve Sunglasses, Santa Cruz and Billabong.
Marketing manager of the brands Josh Hockridge discussed how “Surfing GB’s events provide the youth of British Surfing with the stage to perform, so as a company it’s great for us to be involved and support the future”.
Thinking about getting involved? Well of course you are! Good news, entry for the event is now open!
The entry form can be downloaded here:
ENTRY FORM DOWNLOAD – Word Document
Who can enter?
- Entry is only permitted to Surfing GB members, don’t worry you can join up at www.surfinggb.com/membership.
- Each school/college can enter teams of up to 6 surfers, there are no restrictions on the amount of entrants for a team in a specific category e.g. A school can enter all 6 surfers in the U18 Girls division.
- Entry into multiple age divisions is permitted and full payment for each entered division.
- Competitors must be under age for division on 1st January 2015.
- If you are not able to represent a specific school but would still like to enter, this is permitted so please make sure you state this on your entry form!
What do I need to know for the event?
- Surfing GB will be posting a 7 day – 5 day – 3 day – 2 day – 1 day call for the event, updating you with the forecast through Surfing GB’s Facebook.
- The event will be called on or postponed (conditions dependent) on Thursday 23rd April via SGB Facebook – so keep an eye out.
- Individual prizes will be awarded within each division and the combined results from Surfers representing a team will inform an overall team champion.
How can I enter?
- Fill in the form and return it to us with your entry fees.
- The closing date for entry is 5pm on Wednesday 22nd April. Applications may be limited depending on application numbers.
- Receipt of entry will not be provided due to the mass entry numbers: we will post the entry list on www.surfinggb.com on Friday 24th April so please check and contact the organisers with any queries.
- We hold the right to cancel the event or change locations/format if conditions are deemed unsuitable or unforeseeable events occur that directly affect the running of the event.
How do I pay?
- Payment should be made by cheque payable to Surfing GB and posted to Surfing GB, The Yard, Caen Street, Braunton, EX33 1AA. Please print and send your entry form with your cheque.
If you cannot pay by cheque then card or bank transfer can be arranged, please email [email protected] to inquire.
For all event enquiries please contact Surfing GB via email to [email protected]